Sunday 16 October 2011

An Intern Abroad...


Ni hao everyone!

Shanghai calling J! So here I am in the midst of the hustle and bustle of China and it’s AMAZING (think the upgrade to business class helped)! In just over a week I have eaten so much random food (some of them I don’t even know what they were, and perhaps wont want to know), tried to act out the word “coat hanger”, been pushed out of the metro at a stop I didn’t even want to get off (think of London at rush hour and triple it!), attended a restaurant opening, gone to a bar on the 87th floor, and of course, most importantly started my internship.  It’s been a whirlwind to say the least.



Despite only being here for just over 10 days Shanghai already feels like home.  Perhaps it’s the easy metro system that is so similar to the London tube, maybe even because of the high-rise modern buildings that decorate the skyline (see the famous Pudong area above), or even the river that cuts through the city.  It is so cosmopolitan here too and many a time I have forgotten that I am half way across the world rather than sat in a coffee shop or a bar in London.  There are so many beautiful places to explore as well with People’s Square being one of them (although it’s not really what we would call a square like Trafalgar Square but rather a park) and my favourite area without a doubt being its lily pond (see pic below)!  All in all a lot of us interns (there are about 30 of us with the CRCC Asia program) feel settled.



Work is going really well (although think it will take me awhile to get used to the hour commute on the metro consisting of a free-for-all and a LOT of pushing and shoving) with everyone being so nice and welcoming and I’ve already done a lot in just 5 days.  The company I’m working for is ShanghaiExpat – a small company whose main channel is through their website www.shanghaiexpat.com.  Whilst their main revenue comes from advertisements on their site, their main reason for existence is to support the local expat community in Shanghai by giving advice through their forum and planning events – and that’s where I come in!  So far this week I have had to come up with several ideas for possible events that we can put on, help plan their 11th Anniversary Party in December, ring up sponsors and promote their up and coming events on other expat marketing promotional sites and social networking sites – the 9-6 has been intense but really enjoyable and so different every day!  Who knows what I’ll be doing this week…

Zai jian!

Marie xox

No comments:

Post a Comment