Saturday 14 January 2012

This is the life...


Just before coming back to cold and rainy UK, since I was already in Asia I decided a trip to visit my family in the Philippines couldn’t be avoided! For 2 weeks I travelled to a mix of places, from the province of Pampanga where my lola (grandma) grew up, and where most of her family still live, to the scenic Tagaytay, not forgetting the beautiful island of Borocay and the bustling heart of the country known as Manila. Being over 15 years since I last visited with my family (shameful I know!), I was so excited to explore the places that my lola and mum were surrounded by and grew up with. It was truly amazing and such a contrast to my intense and cosmopolitan 2 month routine in Shanghai.
Tricycle riding
Local shop
Some of my auntie & uncle's livestock
Despite not being accompanied by my parents or my lola, all my relatives were so welcoming to Matt and me, and my Tagalog (main language of the Philippines) skills definitely improved drastically with me having to act as translator for some of my older relatives and Matt!!! 
Mt Taal volcano, Tagaytay
My new obsession...fresh buko!

Boracay, being one of the best beaches in the world, was definitely worth checking out, and it was so weird sunbathing and being surrounded by Christmas decorations (but being a self-confessed sun worshiper, it’s something I could definitely get used to!!!). With the longest and cleanest stretch of white sand I have ever seen and clear blue water, it is easy to see why it has won so many awards.

If you are thinking of going, definitely try out the island hopping tour which you can do privately or in a larger group. We went with a local vendor which worked out a lot cheaper and meant that we could do exactly what we wanted – including snorkelling! As it was Matt’s birthday we also decided to buy some seafood and have it cooked for us – I have never seen prawns that big!!! At night the beaches transform into open-air restaurants and bars with live music and other entertainment everywhere!




As the Filipinos say, "ang hindi lumingon sa pinanggalingan, hindi makakarating sa paroroonan" - a person who doesn’t remember where he came from will never reach his destination; and I agree, it’s so important to never forget your roots, no matter how far across the world they are. I’m so glad I finally made the effort to go back and visit and establish new connections with members of my family that I had only heard about and never met. I definitely want to make another trip back out there soon and take my lola back to the place where she was born and grew up… 2013 can’t happen fast enough – I already miss it. <3 

Marie xox



No comments:

Post a Comment